Make a booking enquiry

History

The Fox Family, creators of the Inglewood Manor we see today, were originally based in a house called Bankdale in the village of Bromborough. The family included Henry (head of the house), his wife Ellen and their three children, Ethel, Frederick and Ellen.  Henry was an American Shipping Merchant and Ellen originally from South Carolina USA.

It was their son Frederick who, in July 1902, with his bride Mary Ellen Young purchased a property called Inglewood House on what was then Badgersrake Turnpike Lane from Reginald William Uredale Corbett Esq.  The original house, built in around 1860, cost a grand total of £7,500 including fixtures and fittings (valued at the time at £2,500), and was purchased with a mortgage of £5,000 from the Bank of Liverpool Ltd. At the time the property was being rented by the Latham family. 

Frederick, who was a successful marine insurance entrepreneur, had the house enlarged and re-modelled to its present size.  The work was completed in 1915, at about the same time as Frederick was appointed High Sheriff of Cheshire by his Majesty King George V (look out for the date 1915 in stonework and on the fire grates around the building). The house boasted  8 principal bedroom suites, 5 bathrooms, and 4 reception rooms, At the time of the 1911 census the Fox family, their artist, stockbroker, several servants and the cook lived in the property.  As well as boasting  38 acres of landscaped gardens, the original estate had over 350 acres and stretched to the nearby village of Willaston.

When Frederick died in April 1939, his son Henry (Harry) inherited the house and estate and lived here with his wife Marjorie Elspeth Fox and their two children David and Pamela. until his death in November 1963.  As there was no one who wished to live in the house auctioneers were commissioned to sell the portfolio of properties in July 1964. 

Inglewood House and Hallwood Farm were purchased by R.Silcock & Sons Limited for £76,800 to be used as an Agricultural Training College for their staff. Later Silcock’s amalgamated with Levers to become Silcock and Lever Feeds (SLF) and continued to use the estate for training until September 1971, when  they sold Inglewood and 38 acres of it’s gardens and grounds to Royal Insurance Limited for use as a management training centre, for £54,000.  The ground floor of the house remained much the same, although upstairs was divided up to create 30 bedrooms for delegates use.  In the early 1980’s the ground floor was extended to create the Burton Room, our largest conference suite, on the site of the old courtyard which had originally housed the laundry, ironing room and estate offices.  

Many people in the area became familiar with Inglewood during Royal Sun Alliance’s ownership, as the grounds were often used for football, cricket and  bowling matches by local sporting teams. 

The building also played host to the occasional wedding and function bookings at weekends when not being used for training, but the other than this, the property remained closed to the general public.

Royal and Sun Alliance (as the company became known)  continued to maintain and invest in the estate and in October 1973 they built ‘Beuddy Newydd’  a two storey house in the grounds, and then in 1975 converted the carriage house and milking parlour into the ‘Club House’ (subsequently converted to offices). In November 1985 Inglewood became a listed building.

In December 2003, Inglewood was purchased by three local businessmen for an undisclosed figure, as a private venture and fully opened to the public in June 2004.  The transition from conference centre to hotel began at this time.

Inglewood Manor now operates as a delightful country house hotel, with many of the original interior features remaining exactly as they were when created for  Frederick Fox in 1915.  The room, which was known as the Oak Drawing room, is now the Executive Room, our main function suite.  The beautifully carved oak panelling and crisply moulded floral and oak leaf ceiling still exist in their original state. 

The Fox family dining room has retained it’s original function, and now offers visitors to Inglewood Manor an elegant restaurant in which to enjoy mouth-watering cuisine, created by our talented team of chefs.

The grounds and gardens also contain many outstanding features, (some of which are individually mentioned on the Grade 2 listing) and are well worth exploring.

Enquiry